RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCAero JC Engines & YDA Engines

Hey Antique
Come over to www.rcaer.com and you can buy the engine via paypal. You ain't no more special than one of my other customers...

To be honest,, your comparison really won't have any bearing on the true capability of any of the engines. You are simply going to do some static rpm testing, and some basic thrust testing. Nice, but it only shows about 20 % of any engines capability. Below is a blog entry from Pat Roy and his thoughts.

So please... buy the JC 28 to enjoy its extremely user friendly capabilities, flight characteristics and power curve. DON"T buy the engine to do a comparison with others, unless you have the sophisticated equipment. My advice... enjoy your retirement.. fly the Pylon circuit. Piddle around with your engines.

The JC 28cc has been reviewed many times by the pro's, and vetted by one hell of a lot of customers. Look at the videos....[link=http://www.rcaer.com/pages/RC_Air_Videos.cfm]RC Aero Engine Videos[/link]. They tell a lot of the story of the engines.

Break in is a pretty easy thing to understand when you can visually see the changes taking pace via advanced monitoring systems in both controlled and uncontrolled environments. When you look at the picture that w8ye posted you might recognize that a lot of engines get set up an a regular basis. Ain't no way I can go into what all they might be. Set up a thousand engines or more a year and you might, just might, develop a "feel" for what they need to complete the break in process. There's a lot more to running an engine, setting it up, and getting all the performance parameters correct besides setting the needles. A whole lot more.

Those that piddle with a couple of needles on the home garage test stands might think they know their engines. If all they have is a tach and a heat gun they are clueless. Sorry folks, but the facts and the truth of complete performance data can't be overshadowed with some silly and generally misunderstood rpm count. Even that fish scale thrust reading is corrupt since it fails to account for blade stall with the propeller. Static prop loading is a fools game where determining engine output is concerned. If you can't unload the prop throughout the engine's power band you really don't know squat. If that's all you have I suppose you can grade your engines based upon extremely limited performance data, but you won't be able to take advantage of accurate comparisons where engine purchase decisions are concerned. You'll be going into the process with about 20% of what you should have to make a valid performance comparison.

None of the above is proprietary, but is pretty commonly understood with most advanced propulsion techs and engineers.

Over and out
Henry