RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crisis of leadership in your club?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crisis of leadership in your club?

I belong to two sport flying clubs locally, one being about 50 years old and the other about 15. There are at least seven clubs in the area - one focuses on large-scale aerobatics, one on electrics, one on sailplanes only, and four on sport flying - so there's always another place to fly. In addition, there are several informal groups who fly from church lots and off failed subdivision streets.

The old club has evolved over the years. I started with it when I was in 9th grade, and got lots of help there. At that time, it was hosting the largest F1 pylon race in the world, and was often on magazine covers as a result. There were no other clubs in the area, membership was 100+, and a typical meeting had 30-40 members present. Every meeting ended with a raffle, and there was a Q500 race every month - the Spickler Quickee was designed as a club racer for that club. It was a vibrant, active club, and in spite of the occasional human conflicts was a lot of fun. Members actively campaigned to get elected to the Board, and considered it an honor to serve.

That club spun off a few more over the years - the glider club started as a faction of this club, as did a now-defunct heli club. There was an attempt to form a Pattern club, which expanded into a sport flying club in order to get the field done - which irritated the Pattern flyers enough to go start another club (the current large-scale aerobatics club).

These clubs are interwoven to a large degree - many flyers belong to two or more local clubs. One year not too long ago, I was elected President of both clubs that I belong to - which brings me to this post. As the number of clubs/flying sites has grown, the number of individuals involved has not kept pace. Using the 80/20 rule (80% of the work is usually done by 20% of the members of any group), this has fostered a real problem as far as leadership. Most elections are now uncontested - and it seems to get harder to fill the positions every election.

Sorry that this rambles - I'm still trying to sort all the issues out and still not take two pages... Any other clubs have trouble getting members to step up and lead?