RCU Forums - View Single Post - esc selection help
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 AM
cat samich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: esc selection help

ORIGINAL: Got RPM

Poor ESC recommendation, no ESC will work. First off, you have a very hot setup for a boat that large, it is really a hydro motor more suited to a 30'' hydroplane - ON 4S! There is no ESC that will handle that motor on 6S, you will burn down any of them as you will be drawing well over 200 amps. And never run any ESC at its maximum voltage rating on a 'hot' setup. They will ALL burn down eventually, even the $700 Schulze 40-160, I've seen it happen.

You have two choices. One, run the 1515/1Y on 4S with an m440 or x442 prop and watch for heat. The Turnigy 180 might work for this application.
Two, sell your motor and buy a more appropriate one for 6S - any similarly-sized motor with a Kv from 1250 to 1500 will work. Use an ESC with a voltage rating of at least 8S unless you can control yourself and not use too much prop for ''just a little more speed.''

advice taken, i ordered a leopard 4082 1500kv. i think im going to throw a swordfish 240 or hydra 240 at it on 5s to start and see where i end up. if temps stay good i will try a 6s run. i also ordered some 8mm bullets to connect it all up with thanks guys