RCU Forums - View Single Post - esc selection help
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Von Ohain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: esc selection help

Thanks for some constructive input! I give you credits for that.
Well observed
I have thought about this, and the switch frequency of the Plush is 8 kHz, meaning that it turns on and off again within 0.125mS. (1S/8000Hz = 0.000125S = 0.125mS).
Meaning that the transistor is still fast enough by a huge margin, despite being significantly slower than one rated for a smaller current.
Actually, the slower transistor is still fast enough to turn on and off almost 30 times faster than the Turnigy Plush 100A will be calling for:
(0.125ms/427nS = 0.000125S/0.000000427S=29.3)

So in other words, this isnt a problem.
But well observed, it could potentially been a problem, if it wasnt given a thought before selection of transistors.

And even if you were to select superslow transistors, the problem could still be patched by simply altering the switch frequency of the ESC. This would in practice mean that the ESC would not be able to spin multi-pole motors very fast.
But then again, the large motors isnt fast spinners, so its not really a problem.

But lets say, for the sake of the discussion, that this also fail and 2 transistors is on when they shouldnt:
the motor would still not overheat. Actually, this would lessen the load on the motor, because the transistors would then short with each other. (Look on my link to the H-Bridge explained on wikipedia, and this is explained in detail there).
But the transistors themselves is capable on hundreds of watts each dissipated in heat, so this wouldnt result in anything much worse than a hot ESC. The problem had to be extremely severe for the transistors to actually short out so badly that they torched themselves. Again, Look at the H-Bridge link for an explaination to why. Its no point i do that explaination here when its already written elsewhere.

And as for rewriting the code, whats the problem?
I got all the equippment to program my own Atmel AVR microcontrollers from scratch, I got all the training i need for doing so at school, and should I run into problems, I could always ask my professors for some input. they got background from companies like Voith Hydro, Atmel and Siemens. Aka, guys making power controls for power plants (around 6000 amps), electric trains (around 1500 amps) All using H bridges and semiconductors.

I really dont understand why you are so presistent on "making it impossible". It isnt. Its easy. Even making a ESC from scratch is easy. If YOU think its hard doesnt mean you have to rain on my parade. You can just stop reading here. Nobody forces you.
And Husky, on transistor selection, I had simply taken one and used as an example for a possible FET, I never said that was THE FINAL selection.
Afterall, Im the electrical engineer student here, YOU are the hobbyist. Its quite rude of YOU, as an amateur, to come here and draw my qompetence into question, when you yourself dont even know how a H-Bridge works! (clearly you dont, since you think that slow switch times will cause overload on the motor).

Im still up for a CONSTRUCTIVE debate, but even if you have resorted to using somewhat constructive arguments, your personal motive is still not to contribute constructively. Your personal motive is to rain on my parade, and i dont think thats constructive at all, despite being camouflaged behind constructive points.