RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4 stroke, for speed planes?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 stroke, for speed planes?

4 strokes are truly habit forming. Once you go to a 4 stroke, you tend to leave the 2 strokes home a lot more often. You can swing a nice big prop with the higher torque, and the sound keeps me off the electric power end of the hobby altogether. I've used these in Cubs, Four Stars, Astro Hogs, Telemasters, and other slow planes. I never thought to remove a Rossi or OS SF piped off an Ultra Sport or Cosmic Wind Minnow, and fathom a Surpass is going to give me more top speed. I hear you can pitch the props over 12 with a 4 stroke, but haven't seen it happen here locally, ever. How many do this? I'm too much a Rossi guy to believe a Surpass is going to beat it on the same plane. Am I wrong?
Have any moderators or other pillars in the forum tried 4 stroke for speed and what speed plane, prop, and fuel did you use? I see videos on Tower suggesting 4 stroke for speed but never gave Tower much credit for any recommendations. I'd really like to know to get motivated to experiment with one, for speed. Generally I over power the faster 2 stroke planes, which is why .51 and .75 are for my .40 and .60 size planes. I wouldn't want to cut up a cowl for a 4 stroke just to pull it off again after one flight, so I'm asking for someone with experience doing this.

4 strokes I could prop are Saito 72, Saito 100 or Surpass 91, if you had experience with these, that would be most helpful in your reply.
ARFs at my disposal are GP Minnow, Revolver 60, World Models Midget Mustang 60, and I'm ready to throw one of these together but wanted to get input for a 4 stroke engine.