RCU Forums - View Single Post - About O.S #8 plugs!
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Konrad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: About O.S #8 plugs!

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: downunder

I've posted this photo before but here it is again . This is the head from an OS 40VF with a long reach plug on the left (about half a thread proud) and an OS plug on the right. My preference would be for the long reach plug. Enya plugs are the same length as OS but have a reputation for great reliability.
I guess no-one has given any thought as to why the OS plugs are the length they are.

A medium length can be shimmed up or down if you ''feel the need''... Five minutes, a flat surface and a scrap of wet/dry sand paper will reduce the thickness of a soft copper glow plug washer to any thickness you may require.

A short plug can't be stretched.

The long plug (as shown) is proud. I guess you could stack a couple washers and get the required height if it's that important to you.

A medium length....One plug that could be used for either short or long reach engines and still work. No need to buy different lengths....

There are those that continually bash a product for whatever reasons. Real World results prove them wrong time and time again. I've never had any problems using OS products whether it's the engines they manufacture or the glow plugs that they supply with them.

RC Universe has a ''User Review'' section that continually show these ''Real World'' results.

OS has never made the claim that the seal washer was to be lapped to fit the head. Besides this activity is way beyond the scope of most sport flier in the real world. Heck many sport fliers cant even select the proper heat range! What you describe is squarely in the range of the performance enthusiast. This is by your post history outside the scope of real world experience.

Your value in the "User Review" is slightly misplaced. Most user have no idea as the nuances of the product they are using. As such they are not the most qualified to evaluate them. The sport flier is usually only interested in what works. The performance enthusiast is interested in what it takes to make a system perform to its optimum potential. It is this span in performance that you seem to not grasp. My critique of product is not in anyway a bash against them. But rather an attempt to bring the weakness of the design to light. Once these weaknesses are known a work around can often be applied. Now some times I will also make note of the design strengths.

It is the constant glowing reviews in the dead tree media that has killed it as a source of credible critiques on products. The ad dollars are just too strong. Here on the internet one can find real critiques. I hope that I give ample and accurate reasons for the positions I take on any number of product I critique that anybody can get a better appreciation for this fine hobby.