RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aurora 9 throttle servo??
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aurora 9 throttle servo??

I had a servo failure today on my 50cc Yak...I use all Hi-Tec servos and had a HB-5485 on the throttle.The servo is isolated from heat and vibration located behind the wing-tube,connected by Ny-rod.The set-up has 30 or more flights with no problems.The failure occurred at 100' and the engine went to idle and I still had full control of all other functions.I was able to land it with no damage to the plane,but had to take a long walk!!!When I got to the plane I went into "Troubleshoot mode" and did not move it and proceeded to check all the controls.All surfaces operated normally except the throttle.If I manually tried to move the throttle arm the motor would intermittently come to life,but still did not move it correctly.I took the throttle arm off and the servo would work,but you could stop it by just holding the output splines...I let the plane sit for awhile and the servo regained some of it's normal torque.I have had servo failures over the years and have seen this exact type failure on the $10 Futaba servos,so I am sorry to bore you with the long story!!.My question is...What should I have looked for in a pre-flight test that may have indicated the pending failure? I thought using a $25 servo on the throttle was plenty,should I go with the digital version of the 625- mg to replace it? What servo do you suggest? And last but not least,I read on a different thread that there are issues with the Aurora-9's Fail-safe that only effects the throttle servo,and to turn-off fail-safe until they have a software fix for this.(I don't believe this but I had to ask,as fail-safe should effect all the surfaces) I know there are no guarantees in this hobby,but I spend alot of time with redundancy and high-end components,if this failure had occurred literally 15 sec earlier,the plane would have been toast(low level hover)I am just looking for piece of mind on my next flight,any suggestions would be help-full! I don't want to run 2 throttle servos.....(just kidding) Brian