RCU Forums - View Single Post - CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 05:19 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

I agree that only metal looks like metal. But I accept that sometimes other materials must be used. In terms of which metal, I'm partial to aluminum but will use brass if a part needs to be soldered. Steel only if I feel the part really needs the strength, because steel is a major pain in the rear to work with.

Anyway, I'd love to write more on this topic but in 10 minutes I'm leaving for a day hike, so gotta run!

Edited: No hiking today, it's pouring rain!

So....back to the topic(s) at hand. When at all possible I like to use "scale" materials on WWI builds. The whole reason I like to build WWI is that our models can be built almost the same as the originals. There's an aesthetic purity to this that appeals to me. But I suppose I draw my own particular line in the sand at using steel for steel. I just don't have the tools or skills to work with steel. I guess you could say I don't have the mettle to work with steel!

As for CAD...well, it's like French, I just want to KNOW how to use it NOW, but don't want to study! I have in the past played around with various vector drawing tools. I used to have Illustrator and know the basics. Years ago, when I was still a Window's guy, I also tried Corel Draw and have also fooled around with ModelCAD (and for that matter also LegoCAD). I think what puts me off the whole "CAD modeling" thing though is the idea of "building" the whole model, piece by piece, ONCE in CAD and then AGAIN in the real world! I spend enough time in front of the computer as it is! But for a project like the MG mount CAD is really the only way to go.

Well, since it's raining I guess I've got another day in the shop!