RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cross wind landing teqniques
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Cross wind landing teqniques

This falls into the downwind turn gategory. Just because your nose is pointing out and the plane is crabbing along doesn't mean the plane is flying crooked and needs left or right aileron or left or right rudder. You wouldn't land the plane with crossed controls when the wind is blowing down the strip so why do it when it's a cross wind. (unless you want to bleed off airspeed)

An extreme example would be if you had a right to left groundspeed of 30mph and the wind was blowing in at 30mph the plane would quiet happily "crab" along the strip at a 45deg angle with neutral controls and an airspeed of 42.4mph.

If your holding in rudder then you're forcing the plane to fly crooked which may require you to cross the cross the controls depending on your planes yaw coupling characteristics. Coming in one wing low may work for others but it would be just my luck that if it did decide to drop a wing then the low one would be the first to drop, so I try to keep the wings as level as possible.

Best to get the crab angle sorted on the final turn before leveling the wings, I do this not by looking at the plane as such but referencing it with a background object during the turn. When the plane stops moving as you turn it towards you/the strip then it's pointing in the right direction to fly straight in. If the nose is pointing out or in then so be it.

Straightening the plane before touchdown is pilots option, again depending on your plane and how it's built. A taildragger you probably should straighten it up before touchdown but I'm lazy at times and mostly don't bother.