RCU Forums - View Single Post - VK/Proctor Fokker Dr.1, no frills, but lightened up
Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: VK/Proctor Fokker Dr.1, no frills, but lightened up

Yes, I took another look at the plans and I can see that the brass tubes extend out to the wheel and the wheels turn on them. I think I will have to use a brass tube the full span of the axle except for where the wheels go, and the axle will turn inside the tube. If it weren't full length I think the two pieces the bungee attaches to would bind.

I'd be delighted to hear from the people who have already done this.

I'll start the wings first because I have the fewest questions about them. My theory about the wings is that I will not be flying this plane inverted, so the bottom spars will always be in tension. Since balsa is quite strong in tension, I think it will be fine to substitute balsa for bass on the lower spars, keeping the basswood upper spars. It's all tied together with spar webs. Save a bit of weight.

Another place to save weight is the wing tips, which are carved block. It would be much lighter, and more scale like, to substitute sheet balsa, curved to the camber line of the airfoil as on the full scale. I'll show what I mean as soon as I get it going.

Jim