RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question building polyhedral wing, and wings in general
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question building polyhedral wing, and wings in general

ORIGINAL: thermaler
BM's way takes all the guess work out of it! A hinged board I am assuming? Sure would like to see pictures. Could be another winter project.....
I'd guess BMatt's board looks a bit like mine.

Once upon a time, in a much earlier time (before retirement), in a place far, far to the NORTH, in a world of snow and cold (back when I lived and worked in Minnesnowta), I used to build a glider wing a week. I had a 2m with cleverly strapped on wings, and the Eppler airfoils were just being discovered. I wanted to test airfoils and focusing on one wing planform seemed a sensible thing to do. I was developing the glider so had about 3 fuselages that were basically interchangeable so why not make wings that'd interchange as well.

The builder was still constructing houses in the neighborhood and the trash bins often had fairly large pieces of usable stuff. I used to layer my work table with insulation board. It took pins better than cork board. When it got too cut up, I'd rotate it 180 and keep building. I had some surplus and some structural paneling and slapped the thing pictured together one night. Used liquid nails. It weighs a ton.