RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question building polyhedral wing, and wings in general
Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question building polyhedral wing, and wings in general

Hinging can be a problem.

Thick material in the top cramps your hinge location. When I first setup my building table for polyhedral building, I used two sheets of that homosote board. I think that's what it was called. I glued a strip of scrap cotton cloth along the top of the seam between the two boards. You need to have no gap right at the polyhedral break because you've got a lot of building to do right there. The hinged outer board then had to be supported firmly at whatever angle you were building. The scrap bed sheet did a good job as a hinge and allowed me to use T-pins.

I built that board after seeing how little was to be gained from greater or lesser polyhedral angles. Also, built it solid because all I wanted it for was fast production of a bunch of similar 2m wings. I figured I'd throw it into one of the construction site dumpsters when I got through with it. That was 30 years and 3 different states ago. Dragging it out brought back memories...... Gotta go fly that glider soon.