RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another Skymaster Viper bites the dust....
Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
ViperJet1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Skymaster Viper bites the dust....

Normaly you would be correct, but, Being a heli pilot I've got quite quick with responses and running through my head as soon as it was happening was that poor chap that lost his viper in the same manner months ago. I immediately notch slight inputs to the elevator in order to avoid what happened to him.
To no avail. I had full power until the top of the loop wich as soon as it moved over the top I backed off to about 1/4 and the evo is set with a 2 sec spooldown so it should have been adequite. But it was'nt. All in all I have had the plane slower and it never stalled but every situations different.

As Dantley had said about the wind it was actually blowing from the left side of the plane at that point.

I just wish I killed the power to the turbine shorlty before it hit, but I was trying to recover the aircraft as anyone probably would have.

Think I may take a walk out there today and get the mangled mess for something to do since I am off. Because of the extremely rigid terrain of the ARCSflying field it took me a half an hour just to get to the plane wich is probably why ,even though it nosed in, I lost everything.
We had trouble getting the fire out even after exhausting my fire extinguisher.
ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Gary,

Makes me sick to watch man. I think your initial assessment of a stall is absolutely correct. Stall at the top, followed by a continued elevator pull (not yet realizing it was a stall), than a relax on the elevator which was the pause in the turning, followed by a re-application of the elevator in a last ditch effort to recover the bird before the impact, which re-initiated the stall due to the slow air-speed.

Whatever it was, it sucks. Don't let it get you too down. We all know, that it's not if, but when.

Take care and call me if you need anything.

Chad

Bob.......... You are absolutely right about the first uncommanded roll. I should have landed. Its just strange how going slow at the top of the first loop it rolled over that quick. I just felt the wind must have blown it over.

O'well , I won't drag it out, as I hope this thread don't. I just wanted to let you guys possibly learn from my mistake if I made one.
I know it sucks, but we still want to know what went wrong.

I have a Skymaster F-18 brand new waiting for engine and electronics. I know the Viper is big and in order to keep the weight down Skymaster had to lighten parts of the plane so it would seem weak but it really held up fine. The f-18 seems a lot more solid. But its also a totally different plane.
I'll give it another go....in good time. Maybe another viper is in the future.......but not the near future.

Unless I hit the LOTTO!!!!! Ohwait,
I don't play. To much of a risk!!!!!

HAhahahahahahahah.