RCU Forums - View Single Post - No profit in makeing kits?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No profit in makeing kits?

Well being an ex-kit manufacturer from a small home hobby business I too see the changes in the hobby. There are still the few select people I call experts that build their own models. Most of the time these out perform the ARFs. I started Early RC Models in early 2004 as a way to supply the vintage RC market for us guys who wanted to build and fly the models we grew up with and not have to pay the kit collector prices. I sold Early RC to Wing Mfg because I was just too busy with it as a second job. The profits were not enough to make it my full time employment.

What I experienced was several people wanting to by my models in ARF form which I did not offer but did explore the possibility with the Chinese mfgs. The price was quite low but one had to invest in large quantities to be reasonable.

What really has been a concern to me not is the lack of true builders. I’m currently doing some Quickie 500 racing and have designed and built my own models which have been quite successful locally. The new guys we are trying to encourage to get into the racing hobby are looking to a fast fix. Great Planes supplies the Viper which is a good starting plane but most of the time a kit built model will out perform it thus leaving the guy with the ARF frustrated. I’ve even heard guys complaining about the kit built models and wanting to outlaw them for fairness!!

So what are we to do? I look around at the pilots at the races and many, like myself are in the 40+ ages with very few younger guys entering into the hobby. Very sad to see.

Bob Harris