RCU Forums - View Single Post - Landing gear question, part 2
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2003, 04:26 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing gear question, part 2

Ok I finished converting my avistar trainer from wire gear to an aluminum type landing gear for several reasons, the wire was sagging, didn't provide a lot of ground clearance for my prop with tall grass etc...

So I did the main gear and epoxied a ply doubler inside the fuse and attached it with nylon bolts and that seemed well.

The ground height of the plane increased about an inch which means I had to replace the nose gear as there wasn't enough wire to add any length.

The only 5/32 front landing gear wire I could find locally (with the coil in it etc..) was straight and didn't have a 90degree bend for the tire.

So I had to attach a 5/32 axle to it with the connection that basically acts as a wheel collar with the axle being the "set" screw to tighten it up. I ground a flat spot on the wire landing gear where it attached so that it wouldn't rotate, put a wheel collar above and below it and used locktite on all the set screws including the axle.

**This was all new to me, will this hold up under a trainer type landing? **Or should I just scrap it and find a front gear long enough with a 90 degree bend (I've looked on several manafture sites and those are all 5inches from axle bend to end which isn't enough.