RCU Forums - View Single Post - KMP's New 88.5 Spitfire
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KMP's New 88.5 Spitfire

ORIGINAL: P-40K-5

well my Top Flite kit cost $212 to my door. the same in an Arf would cost $350. both needs servo's, engines, radio gear,
etc, etc, etc. its boils down to what my time is worth. I don't charge myself to build.. mabey I should?

anyways,

this sounds like I'm bashing arf's.. I'm not. but take most arf's as they are... scale(ish).
You cite the need for servos, radio, and engine for both, but the kit also requires adhesives, covering material. finishing materials, tank, wheels, hardware, engine mount, etc, which add quite a bit to the build cost. It is easy to overlook some of these as we usually have some of the bits leftover from re-kitting or retiring a model. But, the cost IS there, and can be significant. I prefer fabric coverings and dope finish, but have given away to Solartex, or polyester dress lining for covering with WBP, for cost as well as environmental (my lung health) reasons.

I am a builder, most of my planes dating from 1953 have been scratch built from either my own designs or from plans. I am now retired and should have all the time in the world to build, but, at least sometimes I buy an ARF. I do think it costs more to build a kit or from scratch.

Coimments from the peanut gallery? Anyone?

Sincerely, Richard