RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:32 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

G'day

I have just built my 8th Kadet Senior. All the others to date have been built as per the plan. No ailerons. This one has ailerons. I copied from an ARF Kadet Senior I have.

I built the wing the usual way (ie without ailerons but before joining the halves I cut barn door ailerons into the wing. Each aileron is 7 wing bays long and approx 85mm wide.

I drew a string line at the 85mm mark and then used a square to mark two vertical lines on the ribs 21mm apart. Then I cut out the 21 mm section of wing ribs and fitted two strips of 10mm balsa to form the leading edge of the aileron and the trailing edge of the wing. I also fabricated the ends of the ailerons from 5mm balsa and then cut the trailing edge to let the ailerons out of the wing.

I reduced the dihedral to about half the original amount. The ARF has about 1/4 the normal "no aileron wing" dihedral.

I also fitted sheeting between the wing ribs in the centre bays (I have done this on all my Kadets) and later I glassed the centre with 3.4 oz cloth and Sig resin.

It flies well. It is less stable than the standard version but more stable than the ARF. It can be flown with rudder and elevator only or it can also do normal aileron turns quite neatly. It also rolls better than I thought it would.

Noise is provided by a Saito 72 which is total overkill and part of the reason I strengthened the wing centre section. Apart from that the plane is stock standard.

I covered the sheeted part at the front with Solatex and the rest with film.

Have fun building your aileron wing.

PS I call the plane "Scraps" because it was built from a wing kit, a fuse kit, some balsa and any covering I could find.

Mike in Dubbo.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66766.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	1532445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51847.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	1532446