RCU Forums - View Single Post - I belong to an interesting R/C club
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2002, 02:52 AM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I belong to an interesting R/C club

All clubs seem to be made up of those that do, those that don't, and those that complain about it.

I've found a couple of things in our club which make the difference: a good newsletter, with photos of members and their aircraft, stories about local interest, and the odd mild rant about things that need doing; and a positive and strong management committee (pres, v.pres, secretary etc..) who all think the same way about the ethos of the club.

Our club is the smallest IC power club in our region, about 50 members, but pretty much the most welcoming for newbies. We often get stories from newbies about how they were put off by treatment handed out by members of other clubs. The LHS seems to make a point of sending newbies our way. We're happy to get them. We need them. Our hobby is way past its zenith of the 50's and 60's.

Our club emphasis is on the fun of flying. We have rules, but nobody goes round being the policeman. Every so often someone may need to be reminded and this is done in a friendly way.

Don't let the morale thing get you down. It happens every where.

John Van Buuren
Namadgi Sport Flyers
Canberra, Australia