RCU Forums - View Single Post - HELP WITH ST. CROIX/CRESSLINE LONG EZ KIT
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
danstrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP WITH ST. CROIX/CRESSLINE LONG EZ KIT

I actually have the same kit and recently pulled it back out from an ~8 year hiatus hiding partially assembled in the box. It is interesting to read folks commenting about the tail heavy condition. I extended the nose on mine by 2" to match a full-scale Oshkosh Grand Champion winner's plane, so I have some extra room for nose ballast. The only other change I made was to laminate a piece of 0.007" carbon onto the canard for ease of mind. I'm currently sanding and priming the wings for the n-th time. I really should weigh the plane...

Going through construction, I'm not seeing any issues with how the wing controls are set up. I made nice smooth runs for the ailerons and think this is the best golden-rod install I've ever done. The rudder pull-cables seem workable, though I can see need for some tension adjustments in the wing root area. I definitely agree with another poster that the wheel pants are a bit of a pain and not as pretty as they could be. I was thinking to whittle something prettier up and mold it to make a lighter and more scale part. Another molding project on my list is the upper cowl. I accidentally sat on the part ages ago and put a heavy crease in it.

For the thin cowl problem, I agree with the other poster that a layer of fiberglass on the inside should solve your problem. I've done the same inside busted plastic cowls and they come out much sturdier than the original.

Can someone explain the issue of the fuel tank being below the carb? I have an OS 46 AX slated to power my EZ, un-pumped. I suppose if a pump is needed, the back of the firewall would make a convenient mounting location, but I'd like to understand the issue more. Any weight estimates of other built models would be awesome too. I really should weigh mine...

I attached a recent pic, but before starting to glass the wing. I have a lot more if there is interest.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf97981.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	1533074   Click image for larger version

Name:	xs58106.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1533075