RCU Forums - View Single Post - the rational of trimming
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: the rational of trimming

Dick,
Even if you include the fin/rudder gear or even spinner , stickers whatever,the fuse is still 2-300 squares smaller than the wings
the wings on the Spark are near 1200 sq.

Lnewqban,
Thanks for the chance to explain,Here is a good example of what I was talking about in a previous post.

I any airplane pulls to the belly in a up line it will be from one thing.you are using Dicks 0-0-0 setup and you have too much down thrust in the engine common mistake,in a rookie setup. This is how the Spark is set up from the factory. (I have fixed plenty of them around the world) ,No airplane will pull to the Belly in the downline unless the elevator trim was WAY off. That scenerio just can`t happen any other way.and I dout it`s what he was asking ,it`s just is not a problem any time.

Again,Not beat a dead Horse using 0-0-0 you have to run the c.g back to 30-35% to get the (BIG WING UP FRONT) like dick likes to say at a AOA that it lifts 1G and you have up elevator trimmed in as well. Then you adjust the stab to match the elevator half trim usually 1 deg neg ( same as up elevator trim).That up elevator trim is what your fighting in the upline.,,,Neg stab,= up elevator, 0 inc wing, too little down thrust. this will also give you your pull to the canopy in the downline as well ,,but without thrust on,even worse.

Now the 0-0-0 set up for Rookies and look alike ARF pattern planes from Tower,, thats fine and dandy for level flight! But you pull the nose up and guess what ,it want`s to go to the canopy with anything under 3.0 deg neg thrust in the motor. Now here is where you start chasing your tail.this begins the root of all evil to trim a airplane

Because of this pull to the canopy in the up line (i`m getting there ) you would be advised by Dick to just put down thrust in it till it stops. Yes it works using 0-0-0 But unfortunatly because you neglected to fix it "right" the downthrust will fix that problem,as long as you keep the speed the same in a up line and cause 3 more problems.and As I said ,You will also have a big pull to the canopy in the downline because you use Engine thrust to get the unloaded vertical up line straight.you may also need a throttle to rudder and throttle to elevator mix.
Next,
Your knife edge will go to the belly now ,(down thrust, tail heavy) and because of the rearward c/g ,snaps will be junk, the 45 downline will fall off and need elevator to hold the line ECT.,,,,, airplane will drop a wing (tip stall )on hard pulls, will not enter a spin clean, you can only use elevator and rudder to spin ,Deviate on any snap in any line, (snap will not stall with power) you will need a minimum of 3 mixes. just to name a few.

If you are just flying up lines under full power, and level flying you can be happy with 0-0-0 but we are talking Modern pattern Airplanes here not TOC airplanes from the 70`s underpowered ,over winged,over weight!

SO to go back to your question Technically you were correct if he were running lots of positive inc. or using alot of down trim for no reason ,But if you were to advise the guy to just reduce inc. without knowing where his other setups were ,Thrust, Inc. C/G he might try your Idea to reduce inc. and try to fly the airplane with neg inc in the wing now, and have terrible fits just lifting off the ground LOL. Then his trouble would be even worse ,just because the guy was vauge with the question,and the rest of the setting on his airplane.

Dick likes to talk about constant speed, well using full throttle or "speed" to keep the airplane flying straight up just don`t work, we fly everything at half throttle these days ,very seldom even advanced to full power, (thats why IC can still hang) even in verticals ,unless it`s very Hot or Very Windy. Using my method of trimming,the airplane never changes trim from 1/4 throttle to full throttle ,either in the up line or any other line. Pos inc forward c/g the cg forward allows the pos inc. this in turn because of the wing AOA gives you a slower flight envelope, enabling you to run a constant speed. only racers run 0-0-0 (no drag)
just common sense! HUH ?well may be not!

With 0-0-0 you have to use c/g to create AOA and downthrust to tame it in uplines so, now anything else is somwhere in between These settings, and you have to rely on your flying skills to stay on top of that. my methods ,,the airplane flys hands off in any attitude , and from 1/4 speed to wide open , taking the pilot load and cutting it way down,so you don`t have to fly it like a model Helicoptor.

o-o-o just defys logic! if you are looking for constant slow speed ,and goes against common sense once you understand how a model responds to wing and C/G settings.

re-read my second post it`s all in there,
May be Dick can try it, and report Back! Scared! probably

Bryan