RCU Forums - View Single Post - the rational of trimming
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 PM
protectedpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the rational of trimming

ORIGINAL: MTK

Brian,

I think Dick meant max torque at zero rpm when the motor is deadheaded and at full throttle. Motor drawing and controller delivering max amps under this scenario. Not for long tho!

Some electric set-ups are truly amazing in their easy delivery of power to the prop. What Dick says about the vertical up line is something I've observed with electrics too.

To get similar output from wet power, we may have to resort to belt driven and electronically governed gas power. Not in my life time tho, unless I do it. I like my gasoline powered models just fine, eventhough it's direct drive and of marginal tork at mid range. I see no reason to change what I do right now.
Yes, we call that locked rotor. Best way to burn a motor up. Not that there is a good way. I've seen the differences between wet and electric, too; will admit there is somethig to the constant speed; but I just LIKE glow. I've made comment on occasion that it seems, at the moment, we will all eventually fly electric, but I'm hoping not. Electric motors will vary their current draw, while maintaining their speed as much as is possible, whereas the wet engine merely responds with speed available with the amount of fuel burned. An electric motor on current control would behave the same. But wet engines cannot do what electrics do.

For me, and this is personal, electrics look like toys, and wet looks like airplanes. And it is mighty confusing to me, reading all of the amateur electrical gurus explain what is happening, and how to control it, when I work with similar equipment, professionally, and know the facts.

Brian