RCU Forums - View Single Post - World Models 42% Ultimate Biplane
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 AM
ironJaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models 42% Ultimate Biplane

Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

The model I am working with is an EDGE 540T and some what larger than the Hanger 9 Edge you did an article on.

The model was chosen because it had a large interior in which to place research equipment and in addition it was
a scale model of a real aircraft.  The Telemaster just dosn't fill the bill.  Also because we have so much data with this
model we can't afford to change to another aircraft.

I assume that the 60 watts per lb. you speak of is total for the two motors.  If this is true then I should be able to go up
an additional 10 to 15 lb.

Some of the 42 lb. basic weight of the model presently is due to some reinforcment already built into it.  As I mentioned before
we have static loaded the model to over 8 G.  One of our flight tests required us to cut a 3mm slot into the bottom of the wing
tube to simulate some structure damage.  We loaded that tube to 12 G before it failed.  The model has been flown in that
configuration several times with no problem.

The additional weight that I need to put into the model is due to adding more sceintific instrumentation, not just payload.

I am looking into upgrading the power system in the model to allow flying with a single motor, and obtain more flight time.
That is why I am interested in what you and others are working with.

Thanks again.

Tom