View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk - Build

ORIGINAL: alejandro_chipmunk

Hi all

I see there are real ''chipmunk'' experts here, and I'd like to ask you one question: I'm a Spanish modeler and I have just ordered a Pepsi Chipmunk from Apache Aviation, and now I've started thinking on the engine. I know the smart solution is to use a gasser like DLE 30 or similar, but I really love how 4 stroke sounds, in especial when it comes to those king of models. So, options I'm considering are Saito 150, Saito 180 or OS 200FS (Well, I'd prefer to put a Saito 30FG on, but it's really expensive and, for the moment, is out of my budget).

My question is: I know Saito engines are powerful enough for this bird (especially the 180 glow), but they are greats ''alcohol drunkers'' as well. What about OS200 with regards to this point, compared with Saito 180?

Thanks all for your comments. As I start with my Chipmunk I'll post some pictures.

Good flights!!
The Saito 180 when broken in isn't too bad on fuel, especially if you run 5% nitro. Believe it or not a OS 160 fx will use less fuel, make the same or more power and with the right muffler (JTec Dual snuffler or Bisson ST4500 with one exhaust blanked off) will be quieter and sound more scale. A single four stroke goes fart fart fart thru the air. A properly muffled large two stroke glow engine will not sound tinny or two strokey. If you get the DLE 30 get a large volume Jtec muffler or dual snuffler or make your own and it will sound great!