RCU Forums - View Single Post - HELP WITH ST. CROIX/CRESSLINE LONG EZ KIT
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
maekju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP WITH ST. CROIX/CRESSLINE LONG EZ KIT

I built this kit back in 85. Unfortunately, it didn’t have a long life. I bought another one right after the demise of the first one. I was actually thinking about making it this winters project.
I built the kit to plan and it came out very nice, quite an eye catcher at the field. I did fiberglass the wings but not the fuse or winglets, OS 40 for power un pumped and a 6oz fuel tank, no retractable nose gear. I don’t remember the model being tail heavy and didn’t have any fuel flow problems due to tank placement. I do remember putting the landing gear on backwards and not correcting it until the first flight (when you stop laughing read on). It wouldn’t rotate it just kinda bobbed a little then flipped over and cracked the canopy and ripped off one of the winglets. Made the repairs, turned the LG around and went for another go. It lifted off with no problems and flew great…… until time for landing. Reduced throttle to ¼ and down she came. When I tried to raise the nose to flair the landing, it just smacked the ground on it’s nose and off the nose went and the winglet decided to go with it, this happened twice. After re-reading the construction manual, I noticed on page 18 just below the canard diagrams there was a ***NOTICE. If flying 4000ft above sea level you may have to add an additional 1/8 inch to the elevator TE. I was flying in England and don’t think I was even close to being 4000 ft above sea level. Anyway I added the 1/8 inch to the elevator and was able to land the model with no problem. By the time I got everything right it was so beat up, I gave it away when I left England.
When I build the next one, I just may take the suggestion of slevin1 and go electric, nice option. If using glow power, extending the nose an additional 2 inches as danstrider suggested is an interesting thought. I would also increase the size of the fuel tank. I will not use the push rods for the rudders, I agree they suck. Servos in the wing to control the rudders and servos in the wing to control the ailerons is the way to go. I will increase the cord on the elevator and put the landing gear on correctly this time (laughing again huh).
Sure would be nice if you did a build tread on the Long EZ. It may push me toward building it verses my King Kobra. I would like to build two models this winter. The EZ or King Kobra and a quick build everyday flyer. Don’t think I have the time and $$$$$$ to make the EZ and King Kobra.
Please keep us EZ fans updated on your build.