RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: devens

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

I've never owned one of the Evolution engines, but the ones I've seen around here seem to have issues. There's been a number of the 116's which just siezed up in mid air with bearing problems, the 58's seem to be giving the guys lots of issues with tuning, dead sticks and the like. Horizon has fixed 'em without issue as far as I know, but that and the ignition voltage requirements which IIRC is either a 6 cell NiCD/NiMH or an unregulated 2 cell Li-Ion/Li-Po would keep me away from those engines.

The G-62 would appear to be the engine of choice but I wouldn't want to run one of those unless it was converted to EI as the magneto setups are really harder to start and more prone to ignition noise/interference for the radios. Also, without EI and the accompanying spark advance curve they don't run as well. Some folks like that setup but I've been playing with GS gassers for too long now to consider going back to a magneto setup, JMHO.

As for the ZDZ-80RV, that's what I have for my Corsair but it looks like that project is going to get put on hold indefinitely. If anyone would like that option, the engine is older but NIB (no box acutally but it is new), has an inverted Pitts type muffler with a smoke tap and two ignition modules, the original Falkon branded one and a ZDZ branded one. I'd sell it for $575.00 if someone wants it, PM me....

The Evo's around here seem to run fine. I know guys with both the 58 and the 116. And what problem do you have with what is concidered one of the most reliable and proven engines in the industry; the G62?
As I said:

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

The G-62 would appear to be the engine of choice but I wouldn't want to run one of those unless it was converted to EI as the magneto setups are really harder to start and more prone to ignition noise/interference for the radios. Also, without EI and the accompanying spark advance curve they don't run as well. Some folks like that setup but I've been playing with GS gassers for too long now to consider going back to a magneto setup, JMHO.