RCU Forums - View Single Post - A few questions from a new guy
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: A few questions from a new guy

Most clubs are a waste of time unless they have a dedicated training program for beginners. This means that you will be assigned an instructor not instructors. I have belonged to numerous clubs throughout the USA and find them nothing more than a social event or gathering. What a club may or may not provide you with is a place to fly that you will have to pay for. The club I belong to now is just a bunch of guys who meet on Saturday to gossip and occassionally fly there little electric models. I joined them to use there field.
You got a deal of a life time on your purchase but put it away for now. Learn how to fly your trainer first. As others have said warbirds are a different breed and require a different set of flying skills. They usually have a high wing loading and not are forgiving due to pilot error. I just started flying warbirds myself and lost two. The first due to pilot error on landing and the second one experienced total power failure while airborne. I'm on my third now and have only experienced landing gear problems, pneumatics of course. The bug has caught me and I'm in the process of building another that should be airborne in January.
As I have stated most clubs are worthless. Find a club where others fly warbirds and 3D machines and find an individual who will mentor you.