RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 177 on Floats???
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cessna 177 on Floats???

Yes the pegs were the same size but I cheated and dug out some of the foam and really filled it in with epoxy. Sort of made an epoxy ledge under the plastic so to speak, if that makes any sense. I didn't like the little plastic plug ARC used, there was NO meat to hold it in the float. I've mentioned it in other post and suggested that new builders be sure to score the plugs good and use lots of epoxy in the hole.

The reason I did it was that I was doing a float fly out in AZ and the front of one of the floats gave way. The front dropped down as I was making my approach ~~~ it went straight in from about 30 ft. I made the repair mentioned and flew it the next day. I still have the floats and have never had another problem , I had 3 sets.

DAN : I agree with Jimmy that it might be a problem to go electric, you could BUT ??? I think the biggest problem would be putting batteries in. The plane is all plastic and it would take some real thought as to how to install them. Power wise ??? Electric could do it if you could work out a few other problems.

By the way I had an OS 91 in mine and used a 12 x6 3 bladed prop so I could keep the tips out of the water . Worked super and I even left it on when I put the wheels back on. I liked the braking effect it had on landing. ENJOY !! RED