RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mojo 40 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 06:35 AM
chemie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mojo 40 Build Thread

I come from the max. strength approach vs min. wieght, so for the ailerons, I was very tempted to add diagonal cross-braces for each bay. However, since this is a well proven design, I talked myself out of it. The ailerons just seem to be very flimsy, especially on the TE around the 1/4" stock. I could not resist adding some 1/4" triangle stock in the TE joints just to make my "build to strength" side happy. Not sure it helps much though. Also added on a triangle on the inboard TE.

Also, I cut half a bay off the outboard side. Supposedly, this is to stop from catching the aileron on the grass but I suspect anytime my flying takes me that close, it will be a much closer encountered at a much higher speed such that it would not matter that a aileron "might catch"....

For the right aileron, I turned the plans over, wet the paper, covered with wax paper, and built. I am not sure why the plans could not have this drawn in as there is plenty of room on the RHS too. I taper with 80 grit sandpaper.

Photos for aileron build attached.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42921.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1540263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58192.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1540264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48227.jpg
Views:	199