RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mojo 40 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 AM
chemie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mojo 40 Build Thread

So as the framing part of the building comes to a close, a few notes on the supplied wood:

* Balsa was top quality and very well cut.
* As noted above, the instructions say to use one 36" length of the 1/16"x1" material for two TE sheetings. I now have 2 left over. You should use one sheet for each one if you get 4 in the kit like I did.
* The instructions say to cut the two triangle pieces for the root ribs. I used my own stock but now see I have an extra two 1/4" triangle in the bag. These are supplied and the instructions were wrong (I did not look too hard since it said to cut your own).
* I had a small amount of 1/16"x4" sheeting left over, partly because I had to use some 3" from my stock due to the cutting error. You will need to be careful here but should be OK.
* I had one full length of extra 1/4" triangle stick left over.
* The 1/4" cap material is fully used (less than 1" left) but layout is straight forward so just be careful.
* The 1/4"x3/8" stock must be cut carefully as I only had < 1" left. When working on the last 18" of each of the three sticks, make sure you lay it out so that you are only left with 1/2" and not 2" on the last cut.
* I ran out of 1/4" sq. stock. Partly because I used some for the rudder cross-brace and also for the hinge doublers on the TE of the wing. Also, one section was just too light and flimsy to use on the rudder/elevator. I used about one extra 36" long stick here.
* I used my own stock of 1/8"x1/4" stock for behind the 1/4" basswood on the servo rails. Also used it on the wing bay doors.
* For the machined slots (fuse, rudder, elevator), I found they were not square. I sanded the corners of the 1/4" sq stock to get a tight fit but you could also use a file to square up the slots if you wanted (my smallest file was a little too big for the slots).
* You have a small amount of extra 1/8"x1/4" basswood (which I used to reinforce the fuse). You have a small amount of 1/4" sq. basswood left too.

So I would say if you stock build, and are careful, supplied material works well. If you make ANY changes, be prepared with your own stock material. Specifically, some 1/8"x1/4" and 1/4" sq. stock.