RCU Forums - View Single Post - Benz Bz IV - 1/6 scale engine scratch build
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Flying Fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Benz Bz IV - 1/6 scale engine scratch build

Don,

The RCV SP engine would be a beautiful fit entirely inside the LVG cowl/fuselage and it would pretty much fit underneath the dummy engine - somewhere I have a scaled drawing showing the engine profile matched to the side of fuselage, will have to find it and post it. As you say, Personally, I wouldn't risk trying to one of the RCV SP series engines in this sort of enclosed cowl. and I agree, these engines require a cooling airstream but then I wonder why was such a streamlined engine such as the RCV SP was developed in the first place - was it not designed to be enclosed with minimal to no cooling airflow?

Hopefully someone with some experience with these engines will chip in with some advice. It sure would be the best option. The RCV CD engines have a nice slim profile too and yes inverted would be the way to go. Only a small portion of the cylinder head would protrude out the bottom of the nose. This would be the least sacrificial to the profile.

I really need to find out about the electric motors option though. I will have to look into this carefully. I’m hoping the hollow inside of my dummy engine block will allow for easier ’hacking’ up to accommodate whatever engine choice I end up with.

I’d thought about scaling up to 1:5 or 1:5.5 as I suppose it would be easier to reproduce detail at finer scale - of course then you will just want to model even smaller details so maybe this doesn’t really matter.[&:] At least the aircraft would be larger and probably more stable in flight. I could certainly accommodate a larger model in my workshop but not sure if one would then fit in my car for transport! The nice thing about a larger model is that you have more room on or inside the structure to work - my thumbs always seem to get in the way when doing the tiny parts![:@]

[/quote]“Have you already given some thought to how you'll manage 1/6 scale lozenge covering?”[quote]
I intend to spray paint the lozenge pattern using overlapping stencils, one colour at a time. As you are probably aware the lozenge colours are quite an enigma and some threads on other websites are tied up in conundrums over the issue. For now I will go with the following colours based on my own personal preference based on what I have gathered from the literature and online info. The colours shown will be refined somewhat when I get around to it.

Enough for now - have some work to do and then will post my initial construction photos.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28615.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	1541219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14146.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1541220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20407.jpg