RCU Forums - View Single Post - 33rd AMERICAS CUP
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: 33rd AMERICAS CUP

Idealist, please try to read the words and understand them as they were written in my native language.  Sadly, I am unable to translate them into German. 
To clarify -
 I did NOT say that there were no multi hull classes. 
 I DID say that BMW Oracle, the one-off huge trimaran built especially for the 33rd Americas Cup and for no other purpose, was not in any class and that there never would be a class for it.  Two widely different boats built for one competition does not make a class.   What happens in the model world is an entirely different matter.
 I did NOT suggest that hi-tech was either undesirable or impossible, I did imply that trying to emulate a boat that relied on hi tech (ultra lightweight wingsail) in real life would probably suffer from having cloth sails.  The variable geometry fins might give a few problems, as well, possibly an over-steep learning curve for someone new to the hobby, and that is an assumption I made from the number of posts and the question itself.
No doubt the OP, given enough information, will be able to make a trimaran that looks near enough to BMW Oracle and use the cloth sails that he wants and it might sail well.  It might even fit one of the classes you mentioned.