RCU Forums - View Single Post - I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 AM
MickMack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

I live in Vanuatu (South Pacific) Ihave just been to the only fuel importer here, and they don't sell Methanol.
I have been reading as much forum content as possible, however I can't seem to find out what I need to know.

Here are my options I can buy 100LL AVGAS (is this suitable?) I can also buy Diesel (Mazut) and Unleaded (Benzine)
I can buy metholated spirits which should be around 85% ethanol (I am led to believe). I am also led to believe if I add the normal 20% of castor oil to this I may be able to run this with a hot glow plug.

Copied Elsewhere on this forum >>>>>>> Ihave done some limited testing using E85 and 20% castor. So far Ihave not seen any reaction with the silicone fuel lines and the fuel works fine in glow engines except the need for a very hot plug.
Q. I Cannot get E85 here, I am unaware if they add Methonol or Ethanol to existing fuel here

Copied Elsewhere on this forum >>>>>>>>>I have run glowplug engines on commercial model diesel fuel. Keep the plug hot for about 20 sec and they should keep running.

Q. Is this to say you can run a glow engine on Diesel??????????

Copied Elsewhere on this forum >>>>> castor is typically between SAE40-50.
On the note of castor oil will any synthetic oil SAE40-50 do for a model engine??????

I am also led to believe that if you don't use Nitro in a glow engine it might be the case that you need to increase compression for the lack of Nitro, which means taking out the shims in the head. Will it still run anyway????

No nobody else here runs models unless they are electric!!!!

Mike.