RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM
Sandmann_AU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

ORIGINAL: vhal

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I have a 28cc gasser that swings an 18'' prop... will there be adequate ground clearance?
[img][/img]

I believe that the attached photo of my Spacewalker (taken by the fellow modeller/photographer evan) clearly shows that there is plenty of clearance when using a 18x6 prop.

The engine is a CRRC Pro GP26R (26cc), that overpowers considerably this charm lady. Certainly a 20cc gasser would be more than enough for any aerobatic manoeuvre, except maybe 3D stuff (which would be ridiculous for this plane anyway).

Please note the apparent up-thrust needed to fly the plane straight (@5300 rpm), combined with the elevator up-trim (both shown in this photo).

Any proposed solution would be welcome...

Best regards,

Vagelis
The Owl Airclub
Greece
(photos form our club's activities here: http://www.aeromodelling.gr/album/th....php?album=417 )
Mine runs an OS 160 Gemini twin (really a nice solution because you don't need the cheesey plastic engine heads, as you have real heads either side of the cowl).

I've had to put some lead on the tail wheel to balance it and it flies ok without any added up-thrust or up trim, but when it's inverted in flies noticeable tail-down, needs no elevator to keep it level, and is very eager to fly upward with any added down (inverted down) elevator. It's all made me think maybe it's a bit tail heavy, (not helped by the fact that I balanced it with a heavy nylon MAS prop and have since switched to a much lighter cherry-wood one without rebalancing) so I'm going to start experimenting with losing some of the tail weights.

I've also had to use double the recommended aileron throws and always fly on high rates, or it turns into a very lazy plane indeed. I had standard throws on the ailerons for it's maiden and struggled to turn it around & bring it back... thought it was going to go on it's own little adventure to find the horizon for a while.

All up this is a beautiful plane but I'm starting to think the factory settings are a little conservative. I certainly don't expect to do 3D manoeuvres with it (even though I discovered a few days ago that it can hover) but I don't think some basic aerobatic abilities are too much to ask.

Will have more info when the floods here recede, my airfield dries out, and I can get some air time.