RCU Forums - View Single Post - CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CD ScaleDesigns Albatros CI build

ORIGINAL: Flying Fox
From this source (which is Arizona Models and so now I am LOL) it appears that both the Benz 100 and the Benz 150 had offset cylinders! Check out the diagrams.
Thanks for reminding me of this page. Of course, there's nothing wrong with linking to AM since basically everything on their site is "acquired" from someplace else. The drawings are similar to the Baubeschreibung ("building description") drawings which apparently were part of the bureaucracy of WWI aircraft production. They were like "reference cards" where certain required information could be looked up quickly. They are similar also to old-time patent drawings, in that they gave enough info to support the patent claim but often not enough information to "give everything away."

Seeing that there are two of these off-set engines by Benz, which would amount to two drafting errors (of a serious sort) on two different documents, I think I should go ahead and do the offset cylinders on my model.

You've uncovered quite a mystery here Don. If offset cylinders are for real then you have quite a unique engine to model. If the offset is erroneous then you still have a nifty engine to model...
I hate to say I live for moments like this, but, yes, such "noticings" are fun! Whether it's ultimately correct with have to be for someone else to eventually determine. Maybe next time someone happens to be in Krakaw museum, they'll think of "Crazy ol' Don on RCU" and decided to take a photo...and then post it online somewhere. And our grandchildren's grandchildren will wonder how anyone could not have know such basic core information about the world!