RCU Forums - View Single Post - Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Any information you get from an obviously biased reply should be discarded...
Well put, as there are a few in here with the blatant basis 'chev/ford' views!

As for amount of channels, my heli is a PERFECT example of why you should get as best a system as you can afford (if it's 14 channel, and you can actually justify it to yourself, then so be it - do it!).

I CAN fly my heli on a 6ch system like I do currently, that's true. I got it as at the time, it's what I could afford.
What I don't have is the ability to program in more than two flight modes, while on a more advance system, I could have up to 3 (VERY useful with helis). On that more advanced system I could run the throttle governor where I could set the head speed from my transmitter, and have two-three specific flight setups that would be available from a single switch (back to that programming bonus from more expensive systems), I could also set it up in a scale body and run switchable lights, landing gear etc if I wanted, I could also run a flybar less multi gyro and lose the flybar on my heli ..... but I can't, as my 6ch system that just cuts the mustard re MINIMUM requirements won't allow me to do any of those items I listed!

Now IF I go down that scale heli path as I always felt I would, I will need some of the items/features listed above that I can't do currently on my Dx6i, I am going to HAVE to upgrade, at which point my old TX will just become LOST MONEY!
Sure, I can still fly my 4ch trainer plane on the 6ch tx, but why the hell would I want to take another transmitter to the field when the new one I will be forced to buy will do everything that the old one will do (not like I can fly two aircraft at once) .... and if someone thinks it's uncool for me to be using a high end radio on my basic 4ch trainer as I see I will be .... who the hell cares, that's his problem, not mine.

At least if I had saved a little longer and got a 8-11ch system for my heli and not the 6ch one I have, I would not have to spend even more money down the line as I see I will - period!!