RCU Forums - View Single Post - 2.4 - Why Are They Failing?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 - Why Are They Failing?

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: Zor

Red insert by Zor.

Original ram3500-RCU,

A slightly stronger signal, not encoded, WILL be ignored. We already know that With good batteries, and equipment working properly, large signal strength differences should not be encountered.
Large signal strength differences has to do with the transmitting devices that radiate the signal. It has nothing to do with good batteries and our equipment working properly.
However, it is an imperfect world, and the impossible DOES happen, It often does as we all have seen. As noted, nothing is 100% bullet proof, but 2.4 is an improvement over what we have used in the past IMO.
The main improvement seems to be ___
Improved profits for the manufacuters,
Improved for not having to wait our turn to fly or have to change channel on synthesized rigs
improved by avoiding the risk of someone else coming on our channel while flying,

Can you think of other improvements ?

Another thing that I have learned is to Bind the RX with the transmitter very close to it, bind it AT THE FIELD and in the environment you will be flying in, not at home, and re-bind if you change anything. An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I have had NO issues with 2.4 following these rules.

I can see the necessity of dong a binding at home in order to do our setups.
Adjusting throws, servo reversals if needed, exponential response curves, mix channels setups, selection of memories, etc . . .
Nothing wrong to do a binding again at the flying field but flying field environment can change everytime we go flying.
I do not think I have to mention some of the advantages of the 72 Mhz band.
They are well known having served us well for decades.
Most of the 72 Mhz problems were due to humans and not to the band properties.

Zor
Yes, binding at home is obviously necessary to install and adjust. But what is the reason for binding? To find Channels open for use. What good does it do to find clear channels at home? It is at the field that this must be ascertained. This is common sense.

Yes 72mhz served us well for decades. So did the type writer, coal furnaces, the horse and buggy, the transistor radio, film cameras, the well, outhouses, and dry sinks. Want to go back?

The reason for binding is for the transmitter to establish a basis for communication with the Rx, i.e. to embed the GUID code so the Rx knows what burst of data stream to respond to on the selected channels. The first time is conducted must be in an environement free of other similar signals i.e. NOTATTHEAIRFIELD.
On power up the Tx does not re-establish the GUIDin the Rx, it only tells it what channels to going for the Tx's commands after the Tx has scanned the RFenvironment ITCANSEE. This normal operation and is not part of the defined "Binding Process" which involves using a jumper plug on Spektrum kit inconjunction with other deliberate actions to ensure the GUIDis embedded in the Rx.

Lets be clear on definitions of actions here. Yo are confusing normal operation with a different deliberate action.

The question of whether 2.4 is "better than" FM is largely dependant on what the user defines as an improvement. Some people would consider a backward step in technology as an improvement in some other facet of life