RCU Forums - View Single Post - Telemetry in F3A
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Reko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Telemetry in F3A

Well said Alejandro. I think your post is very relevant! There is no doubt that the next generation of 2.4ghz systems will have telemetry built in to them and integrated with the transmitter. I think it is not perfectly clear though when a tx/rx system is illegal. The sporting code says:

“Radio equipment shall be of the open loop type (ie no electronic feedback from the model aircraft to the ground).”

Strictly interpreted this would mean that no data what so ever can be transmitted from the model and that the equipment not even can be of the type that could transmit/receive data. Simply turning the telemetry of would not solve the problem as it still is equipment capable of telemetry, and secondly turning of the telemetry does not necessarily mean that no data is transmitted from the model. Data that is used by the system to work may still be sent in the background. Remember how the XPS system worked before the FHSS firmware update (Tx and Rx continuously communicating about what channels to use).

I don’t think that this is really the interpretation FAI intended. It would mean that a lot of illegal equipment is out there on competitions already. So how should we interpret this rule? Wee need to ask FAI to clarify this part for future sportingcode releases. Current text is just outdated and needs to be reformulated. The pilot should not be allowed to use telemetry to his/her benefit, but rules should not ban modern RC equipment.

David Lundstrom