RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Seawind
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 AM
ALO 111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

ORIGINAL: nilsreinert123

i have a nitroplanes seawind which i have used a lot of time on modifying , but have not flown it yet , looks forward to the summer!!
I have built a new cockpit in foam covered with film and rubber seal on the edges , also where the wings meets the fuse to make it as waterproof as possible . I have buildt the wingservos completely into the wing front area. all the other servos in the front using goldnrods. i have a os 75 ax two stroke on it. i have balnced it at about 2 cm from LE ,dry.

Do you have som hints for me to have a successful first flight ?
The Seawind flys on rails once shes up to speed. Its the take off and landings that are a challenge. I seem to have the take off sorted now,i think,i hope.
I dont use a water rudder,give full up elevator and slowly increase power while keeping the wings level as she gets up onto the plane you keep increasing power while decreasing up elevator. When done right she will pick up speed without porposing,just need to make sure she does not take off to soon. Altough mine is so heavy she needs a lot of speed before she lifts off. Climb out slowly until airspeed is up,real scale like . landings are still a bit of a challenge to me but I can only advise you what I was told by someone who has his landings sorted. land with full flaps and try to keep her just off the water until the speed is way down. basically you need to flare her in big time just just off the water to land at the slowist speed possible. This will stop her bouncing on landing he tells me. I am still learning this as mine almost always bounces and then splashes down.
Good luck and enjoy its good fun to have planes that are a challenge to fly as well as easy ones.
keep an eye out for weakness around the vertical stabilizer and the fibre behind the engine. I have had to brace mine in this area.