RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to recover from a tip (wing) stall?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to recover from a tip (wing) stall?

ORIGINAL: Capflyboy05

I'm not sure this is the right area to post this in...
I already can recover from regular stalls.
But what other stalls are there that I should know how to recover from?
Also is there such a thing as a stall you cant recover from? Regardless of your altitude?
//SNIP//
Capflyboy05, your title was about "tip stalls" and your text covers others. Most of all your questions are answered above so I will just talk about the dreaded "tip stall".

"Tip stall" is generally just a name given to that sudden wing drop that generally happens on maybe a take-off or landing. A stall, in subsonic convergent air flow is when the laminar flow ( uninterrupted flow in a fluid [air] near a solid boundary in which the direction of flow at every point remains constant) separates from the wing, stabilizer, or any object within the specific airflow.

In RC due to- 1. the pilot is not in the cockpit and recognizes such a tad late, and 2. many model airplanes, especially with ailerons to the wing tips - it is easy to use too much aileron in correcting a droping (or just drooping) wing when using considerable elevator to either lift off or hold the nose up for a landing. If a wing tends to drop, the RCer usually uses aileron to correct. At the lower than normal speed, or with surface wind gusts, the airflow at the down aileron will separate from the wing's normal laminar flow, creating a strong decrease in lift rather than the desired increase of added lift. The model rolls against the desired direction and BOOM a repair job is ordered. []
Rudder application is the best control when a model tends to roll or yaw during any time the current use of elevator calls for a higher than normal angle of attack. Get up some altitude and give it a try.

If you can train yourself to use the rudder for more roll corrections during the landing phase or take-offs, you will very probably not experience this "tip stall" demon during landing and take-offs.

I use to try to advise lesser experienced RC pilots to roll the ailerons on their new heavy warbirds up to about a 3/16 to 1/8 at the trailing edge prior to a first flight. Those that did usually never came down much on the adjustment. Most that did not just headed back to the work shop.
(EDITED to add: That correction of ailerons just insured that wing was properly "washed out". Check from behind any heavy aircraft sitting on the ground. The wasout is very seeable.)

Most of the younger crowd are not like you, Capflyboy05. they do not seek answers, as they already know everything.
So congratulations on your searching with an open mind. Very impressive.