RCU Forums - View Single Post - operational cowl flaps made easy
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: operational cowl flaps made easy

ORIGINAL: LDM

Ram , great job a couple of questions please . I will now at this to my KMP Corsair ''must do ''list lol .
1)is there a critical distance on the cowl flap that the yellow push rod retainer is glued example 40% , 50% ect from the hindge point ?
2)Servos operate in opposite direction , are linked by a Y-cable to one channel , or master channel like flaps or throttle ?
3)The ply spacers , are they glued to the medal cable ? I have seen spacers done on a P40 , and the spacers were not glued but slid into pockets inside the cowl flap on ecah side of the opening
Thanks for posting , very cool info made simple
Thanks LDM. For some answers, here goes.

1. Yes, the range is from about 30%, nearest the servos, to about 55% at the farthest (top of the cowl). This seems to work best and get the cable ends down to the servos.
2. Servos must work opposite each other (via a reversed servo, servo reverser or computer reversing if you have enough channels), and then mixed to a master. Mine will work together with the wing flaps. If you have programmable servos, this is easy as well.
3. each ply spacer is glued to the back of adjacent flap, except the bottom two. They are glued to the cowl. One flap at the top has no spacer and is overlapped from both sides. Works like a fan.

I'll take some more pictures showing more of these details. Should make it easier to see.