RCU Forums - View Single Post - Starting my YS 1.40L
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
T-ster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting my YS 1.40L

It has been starting reliably ever since my outing a week ago. However, the engine is not reliable.

Starting from the beginning:

I sent my YS 1.40L in for service a few months ago. They replaced the bearings, but said everything else was good.

After I got the starting issue taken care of, I thought the needles needed to be tweaked. (The engine is inverted with an OS type F plug and 30% Cool Power Heli fuel.) The idle will be high or low, at different times. At idle it sometimes sounds like it has a suction cup popping type sound (like a suction cup when it releases) I will leave the glow attached for 20-30 seconds and let it warm up some (it was 72 today) then disconnect it. It may slow down just a touch , but generally run ok. If it is running at low idle, high idle or slightly more it sometimes just stops. Not like it is loading up or leaning out, just stop. Other times it will be running fine I go to take it to the runway and then stop. It almost always starts right back up. The low speed is at 1-1/2 open, high speed at 2-1/4 and the diaphragm is about level. (This is my 3rd YS four stroke, so I have some previous experience with YS's. )

If I have the engine running at 2,000 rpm it will vary between 1,850 and 2,100, but not be as smooth as it used to run. If I try to lean it, then it will start to pick up rpm's after a few seconds. So I believe the idle setting is very close.

When running around 3-4,000 it will be smoking and rich but running good, then up and stop and at times fuel runs out from the carb. I then lean the diaphragm and it will start to pick up rpm after sitting at 3-4,000 for a second or two and stop smoking. That is only leaning the diaphragm very slightly (I know they can be touchy).

A knowledgeable club member listened to it today and was sure the timing was off by a tooth. How do you check the timing and adjust it? Pull off the round plate at the base of the pushrods and the dot should be center or just left of center at TDC? I checked when the piston is at TDC and when both valves are closed the indention on the cam gear is at the top with the cam lobe down and to the left (see photo).

I'm getting a lot of fuel around the back of the engine (from the carb I would assume) during running or after shutting it down.

I have pressure after running it, so believe the fuel lines are ok, although I am going to change the ones out on the engine since it is handy. Since it was apart, I checked the valves and they were fairly loose. I had to turn each of the adjusting screws 1 turn each to get them to spec.

That is all I can think of for now, but sure I've left some stuff out.....

Advice?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26786.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1555936