RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dle-20 Blew up....
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dle-20 Blew up....

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Jody: Just so I'm clear on the 32:1 ratio rec: the higher ratio is a function of the increased need for lubrication in the smaller displacement engine (20), right? Not necessary for the 55 or 30? Sorry for the slightly off topic post.
The DLEfactory recommends and it isstated in ALLDLE factory manuals for ALLDLE engine models 30:1 fuel/oil ratio. However, exceptfor the DLE20,all DLE engines purchased from VVRC(which I administer the warranty for), if a high quality synthetic or mineral oil is used, can be run at a leaner saturation but a good rule of thumb to follow for minimum oil content is 40:1 for mineral oils and 50:1 for synthetics. Personally I prefer 32:1 in all engines all the time forever,.. period.

The DLE20, due to it's small size, high loads for it size and the high RPM it's commonly run at must use a minimum of 4 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gasoline (32:1).

I won't go into what I define as high quality oil again hereexcept that it should be labeled for use solely in air cooled engines, be certified by the APITC, or TC+, and or meet JASO FC, FD requirements, and that Lawnboy and Amsoil are not fit for use in any DLE engine.

For the purpose of warrantyno onecan legally tell anyone what oil brand or typethey must use, only the requirements the oil must meet and that failures due to lack of lubrication are not covered under warranty. Whetherone purchases the engine from VVRC or anyone else, the end user, or anyone elseviewing pictures of it on their computer, does not determine cause of failureor whether a failure will qualify for awarranty claim. For this reason I recommend that all end users consult withtheir selling dealer on questions of oil type and content if they are not willing to follow the DLE manual guidelines.