RCU Forums - View Single Post - World models 80 inch p51 engine advice
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
convair580
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World models 80 inch p51 engine advice

Yes, I have. Two things on the retract system. One the picture of the parts list shows the old style placement for the retract servo, which was near the wing root, and covered by the fuse when installed. When I started on the installation I noticed that the hole for my retract servo was well outside the coverage area of the fuselage. I called airborne models and spoke with the rep there. He stated that they moved the retract servo closer to the retract system due to flexing of the rod, and that this closer placement allow for less flexing and bending of the retract rod. I asked what I was supposed to cover this hole with, and that it was rather unsightly sitting out there on the wing. He told me there were two pieces of fabric in the kit and to iron those over the hole.

One problem, the patches are red (red white blue paint scheme) and the hole for the retract servo is in the "blue" area. He is sending me the correct covering. I suggested that the not only fix the manual, but have the factory make a cover similar to those for the ailerons and flap servos. I plan on doing just that.

Now to you original question. My guess is that moving this servo changed a couple of things. One is that the distance is much shorter, and where the tow linkages are connected is now in a different spot. I was having a hell of a time getting them to go down. The servo was binding (luckily I had not screwed it down!) Anyway, I took the whole business apart and found that where the two linkages connected (servo linkage to mechanical retract linkage) was hitting on a rib. basically the whole was not large enough to accommodate where the linkages met, so I had to very carefully widen that hole and voila! It works like a champ.

Hope that helps

Any insight on the mounting of the DLE-30 would be appreciated by anyone following this thread.