RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang
Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 AM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

Brushless. Thats a pity. But if its what you want to do then give it a try. This plane was designed for a glow motor, with the option of being converted to electric, unlike most planes nowadays, that are designed for electric, and can sometimes, with a bit of effort, be converted to glow.
A four stroke is a very quiet engine. Although it may sound loud on the ground, in the air they are very quiet, almost the same as a high performance brushless, just a different tone. As for the retracts, if your landing on grass, then they are not needed. This plane is designed to belly-land.
As for the extra gear, yes I can understand that, but it can all be contained in a field box. The guys at my club that fly electric bring a box with almost as much stuff as the glow fliers. You will still need a bunch of expensive LiPos, and/or a charger, a 12V battery to charge them off, leads etc. Unless you are happy to do a 5-10 minute flight then go home, then by all means, go brushless.
I don't want to get into the electric vs glow discussion - that has been done to death on countless other threads.
But in the end, its up to you.