RCU Forums - View Single Post - World models 80 inch p51 engine advice
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: World models 80 inch p51 engine advice

ORIGINAL: convair580

Hi All, have the Miss America version of the GS and the DLE-30. Couple of questions for those that have been there. I noticed that the holes in the firewall are pre-drilled for the supplied engine mount, which I am guessing I will not be using as the DLE is a rear mount stand-off. Did anyone have to extend the firewall or shorten the standoffs? I am about to get into this portion of the build, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Convair580-

I am installing the dle30 in my veteran GS mustang now- sort of gradually . To mount the engine I extended the firewall by making a plywood spacer that is about 5/16" thick. I also used this to help figure out how much to rotate the engine to minimize cutting the main cowl. Looks like I will not need to cut the main cowl except to get access to the carb high and low mixture screws. Right now I am deciding how to handle operating the choke. I think I will use a servo to operate it from the radio.. I had also thought about using a different carb with an accelerator pump but for now I will probably stay with the original equipment carb.

I will post a couple of pictures when I get a chance.

Ed

OK - here are the pictures I took - I have had my GS stripped and a new covering cheme done on it - it is now going to be a blue nose mustang, and I bought a new cowl set for this engine and covering setup. This is because my GS is more than 5 years old and the original covering was getting a bit tired. Plus I had had a couple of diferent engines in it and the old cowl was chooped up from this. So now it will be "Cripes-A-Mighty 3rd" when I am done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63634.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1558324   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82188.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1558325   Click image for larger version

Name:	bz79469.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.56 MB