RCU Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming 1/4 scale trophy truck build
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
IAmSupernova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Upcoming 1/4 scale trophy truck build

The chain sprockets/gears aren't to actual scale, I just used those to get a feeling for how to put it together.. I'm figuring on something like (but not exact) ratio of 3 to 1 (15 teeth on the axle, 44 on the clutch). I'm wanting to go for speed, I'm not too concerned with acceleration, or sheer power, this is just my personal project, it won't be competing in anything.

I made a Yahoo answers question about gear ratio trying to make sure I was gearing it correctly for the spectrum I want to hit, but it was brought up I may need to step it down. I was hoping to avoid that, I'm not expert, but as my mind conceives the design it would easily tack on an extra 100-200 bucks just for that. I have plenty of room to move the engine mount up, so I could add a bigger drive gear onto the clutch and increase the driven gear if that would help.

I have to admit, when it comes to gearing, I'm a bit inept, so I'm really welcoming any input on this. Let's just assume the chainsaw engine has a max rev of 8,000 rpms, and the tires are at their widest diameter is 8 inches, is there way to gear it using only 2 gears and a chain to reach speeds of around 30-50MPH (not scalee)? If not, how would I need to gear it to reach those speeds? It would be very easy for me add this in, but I'd rather not for cost reasons.