RCU Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming 1/4 scale trophy truck build
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
IAmSupernova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Upcoming 1/4 scale trophy truck build

Well, I don't nessecarily intend to run the car at max speed all the time, I want to be able to run the car at a nice idle speed and get an acceptable speed, rather than just run the engine at max output all the time, maybe I'm wrong, but I figure that'd be a lot better on the engine (I don't know anything about running an R/C car on a chainsaw engine, but I do know from plenty of other applications, cars, dirtbikes, go karts, that running the engine at redline all the time is really hard on the engine).

As for pricing, yeah I know that if I'm setting a price limit, I'm already doing it wrong, price is a relative thing when you get into something like this, but wherever I can cut costs, I will.. If I can acheieve the speeds I want, without redlining the engine without having to add an extre set of sprockets and chains, I'd rather do that.

As for gear ratio, I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong, again, gear ratios is where I fail miserably at) what you're telling me is I want a sprocket with 8 times the teeth on the clutch as the one that's on the axle, right?

As for the clutch, I couldn't tell you at what RPM it will engage atm, I have no solid ideas on what make/model of chainsaw I will be using yet. I chose chainsaw over weedeater because they already have the clutch (which means even if the clutch is wrong for my application, it's just a simple matter of fitting it with a new one) and they have plenty of torque to work with. I read up on a lot of using weedeater engines in cars, and everything keeps pointing to one conclusion.. Weedeaters are good for boats, without a decent amount of modifications they're no good for off road ground vehicles.

Just going off of rough guestimates based on average chainsaw engine RPMs, I'm going to guess they engage at 4k RPMs or less.. Based on what I've read that the average chainsaw engine has a peak RPMof about 8-10k. Again, that's a very loose estimate.

EDIT: Also, no I haven't posted on any other forum about this.. Well not an R/C one anyways.