RCU Forums - View Single Post - Running CDI from RX
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Running CDI from RX

Nicads!! Good Grief!!! I've been flying them in my planes for 40years and I never realized how dangerous they are. All seriousness aside,
I'm in the computer business and people who have to have the latest technology are my favorite customers. There is nothing wrong with the latest and greatest but when it comes to multi thousand dollar planes with the potential to do serious damage I tend to err on the side of being conservative. Charles Lindberg wrote in his book "The Spirit of St. Louis" that his backers wanted him to use a three engined plane to fly across the Atlantic. He convinced them that three engines meant three times the possibility of failure and were actually less safe than one. This still applies to technology, the more gizmos it takes to do the same job the more chance of failure. My philosophy in setting up my warbirds, racers, sport planes is KISS. I know that newer flyers will poo poo that but I've seen lots of newcomers come and go in this hobby and I am sure it will never change. By the way, I am going through this exact argument with one of the newest members of our club. I am helping him set up his 1st warbird and he wants to fill it up with multiple battery packs running both the radio and ignition and power buses and super switches and the latest this and that and cameras and just about every other electronic gizmo known to man.

Larry