RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
gregory.aldrich1
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Yeah Dave, it wasn't like I didn't get a big mess as well. Although yes, flying the fuel up was more enjoyable than watching it go up in smoke on the bench. I actually did burn 40 minutes worth of fuel before heading to the field with the first engine. Another 30 minutes worth of flying and viola! One Saito ready for install. Just finished mounting number two and should get that one done before the weekend is over. Then, some painting on the inside of the nacelles and cowls and it's back to the build. Had to back up and re-group because I decided to go with Normand's suggestion of the onboard glow drivers which will be mounted inside the fiberglass nacelle structure. Figured as long as I was starting from scratch, again, might as well go ahead and paint the inside of the nacelles and wood structure. That saves me the time later on. Still looking for a maiden before march is out, fingers crossed.
By the way, I went ahead and mounted the three blade 12X8 prop after breaking in with the 14X8 two blade, for the initial flights. I wanted to check RPM's and tune for the three blade props ahead of time. I used Morgan "Cool Power" 10 percent and was getting a steady 9500 RPM's at peak lean setting on the bench. Came back to 9150 to 9200 on the bench which should give me around 9400 in the air. So, the cool power 10% seems to be enough to get the RPM's. Just thought I would let everyone who was interested know. For those of you who may not know, I am mounting the Saito 82b with a planned permanent prop size of 12X8 in three blade cofiguration. Although I did, and am breaking in the engines with a 14X8 two blade prop. Both props are Master Airscrew brand.