RCU Forums - View Single Post - super bandit set up
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: super bandit set up

I'm the new owner of this SB. I balanced it as Jeremy suggested - so that it just barely tilts forward or needs a tiny nudge to rotate back to the nose gear. It flew very, very well at this setting and was easy to land with avery nice sink on approach. This was with the normal struts - when Jeremy re-paints it will have TL struts so I can fly from grass with less load on the flex plates. If you built with TL struts it should probably rotate forward a bit faster with this test since the pivot point will be more rearward.

I used the setup from the Bandit ARF for throws. Mine is quite heavy with afancy paint job, front tank and an EvoJet 130... 22lbs or so I believe with the wing tanks.

I have seen a lot of Bandits bounce on landing and in all cases it was either failing to bleed off enough speed before wheels down or landing nose wheel first or level. The trick is to hold it just barely off the runway in flareuntil it naturally sets down on the mains effectively stalled.

I'm really looking forward to my high-vis scheme soI can fly it all the time next season.

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

BV's CG is way far forward, the guys I talked to when I balanced mine said if you balance it where the instructions suggest you will run out of elevator on landing.
I had as much elevator as I could get (about 1 1/4" at the root) and the jet was balanced as follows.

Tanks empty but UAT full.
Canopy hatch off and gear down.
Then push the tail down to the ground, when balanced correctly it should JUST stay on the ground and maybe come back down on the nose gear very very slowly. After my first flight I ended up changing the CG so that with the canopy hatch on it would just come off the tail and slowly slowly come back down on the nose. I don't remember for sure how far that moves the CG from the instructions but I believe it's around 3/4". When the center tank is full the jet is still nose heavy. Takes a fair bit of elevator to come off the ground.
They fly very nicely but it was to small for my taste, I sold it very early in it's life. It's getting a new higher vis paint job right now for the new owner.